Things were scary–terrifying–48 hours ago. It was looking like multiple-organ failure (or, possibly, there was a game of “telephone” making it sound like that by the time I got the news–I’m still not clear). In any case, things are worlds better.
It was not a matter of rejection; it was a blockage in an artery. We’re still waiting for the biopsy, which will tell us how healthy the heart muscle is (thanks, Bets), but, in the meantime, here is her state:
A device to help her heart beat has been removed.
A device to help her breath is running at 75% instead of 100% (ie, she requires less assistence). There is hope that this device could be removed entirely as soon as today (although I’ve been cautioned not to worry if that doesn’t happen).
Pulse and blood pressure are exactly in the target zone.
She is intubated and has an ng tube for nourishment and she is heavily sedated, though she partly comes out of it from time to time enough to recognize and respond to us. If it were me, I’d rather remain sedated until the tube is removed (can you imagine me unable to talk?), and that is, I believe, what they plan on doing.
The University of Minnesota medical center has provided wonderful care and (with a couple of possible and minor exceptions) done a great job of keeping us informed.
We have to remember that there could still be a turn for the worse, but, for now, we have reason to be hopeful.